Full Job Description
Design Director is responsible for the overall profitability, effectiveness, and efficiency in providing contract furniture design services. This person is responsible for managing the design team to ensure that all client expectations are met. Also responsible for people and team leadership by training, coaching, and developing design team for optimal performance on all projects. This includes coordinating design services, managing design resources, reviewing financial statements, supporting continuous improvement, and marketing design services.
The Design Director is self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook, and has a clear focus on high quality and profitability.
· Lead and develop team of designers from all office locations (Cleveland, Akron, and Youngstown).
· Responsible for all aspects of performance management including attendance, formal performance and salary reviews, and informal coaching and mentoring sessions on an on-going basis.
· Responsible for hiring, on-boarding, training, and development of all designers for the organization.
· Review annual departmental budget and monthly financial statements; present adjustments based on staffing and technology requirements.
· Coordinate with IT to manage technology for the department including software maintenance; identify and recommend appropriate technology resources for optimal success of the department.
· Mange workload of design department through daily project assignments and weekly status meetings with design team.
· Participate in strategic planning for large projects and competitive bids to determine required design resources, deliverables, and timeframes for completion.
· Work with sales and design staff to create and present design contracts for billable design services, invoicing of these services monthly.
· Lead efforts to market and increase design billing and assist Sales and Design in the selling process.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from CIDA accredited school in interior design required.
- 5+ years’ experience in interior design, construction, or contract furniture industry is required.
- Proven leadership ability with project or team management experience.
- Preferred experience at contract furniture dealership or comprehensive knowledge of contract furniture and aptitude for technical application of systems product.
- NCIDQ Certification (or commit to acquiring within a reasonable timeframe).
- Proficiency in design related software (preferably AutoCAD, Project Matrix, Configura CET and SmartTools, Yulio, and Sketch-Up).
- Expert interpersonal skills with coaching and mentoring capabilities
- Committed to excellence and accuracy in work and extreme attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of: Ability to read and interpret architectural drawings, Building regulations and safety codes, Design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans and drawings, Sustainability, universal design, and LEED guidelines and Design detailing and solutions
- Interior and furniture finish/fabric selection and specification
- Ability to work overtime and travel as required.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $34.00 – $40.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
- Commission pay
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Interior design: 5 years (Required)
- Management: 2 years (Required)
- One location
Company’s Facebook page:
- Waiting period may apply
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
HOW CAN YOU APPLY?